Patient Safety Awareness Week serves as a dedicated time and platform for growing awareness about patient safety and recognizing the work already being done. This annual recognition event encourages everyone to learn more about health care safety. During this week, organizations inspire action to improve the safety of the health care system — for patients and the workforce.
Pharmacy departments are intimately involved in promoting medication use safety during Patient Safety Awareness Week. While this year’s celebration is in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still plenty of ways to promote patient safety awareness in your organization. Here are some ideas that can be utilized to create your own patient safety awareness week celebration.
Easiest To Implement Ideas
- Daily Themes – Highlight a different patient safety theme every day of the week.
- Digital Poster / Screensaver - Consider the use of digital posters as workstation computers so that every computer in the health-system suddenly becomes a “poster” for patient safety! It can double as a background for online meetings. Feel free to use this one or create one of your own.
- Good Catches – Share patient safety “good catches.” Consider conducting a contest for the good catches and/or an “All-Star Award.”
- Good Catch Recognition – Recognize those who have made “good catches” throughout the year.
- Patient Safety Story – Share a local or national patient safety story and how your organization has used that to improve patient safety within your organization.
- Patient Safety Stars – Recognize Patient Safety Stars from pharmacy and other departments.
- Professional Organizations – Share newsletters/articles from professional safety organizations highlighting patient safety work being done across the US.
- Snacks and treats – Celebrate Patient Safety Week with COVID-friendly snacks and treats!
Moderately Difficult To Implement Ideas
- Be Visible – Visit pharmacies and other departments to promote pharmacy patient safety initiatives.
- Grand Rounds – Present virtually or a pre-recorded presentation on medication-use and patient safety at a Virtual Grand Rounds.
- Promote Pharmacy’s Role on Interdisciplinary Team Initiatives – Highlight the important role of pharmacists as members of the patient safety team.
- Partnering with Poison Control Centers –Set up virtual displays or supply information for children and parents to learn about medication safety.
- Posters – Display posters around your institution highlighting the important role that pharmacy has in patient safety.
- Virtual Games with Prizes – Offer games on patient safety initiatives. Prizes are a bonus!
- Webinars, Podcasts, and Live Presentations on Patient Safety – Develop CE activities and include interdisciplinary team effort.
Most Difficult To Implement Ideas
- Illuminate the Pharmacy/Building with Orange – Illuminate your hospital or department with orange* to recognize Patient Safety Week.
*Lighting up a monument in orange is the signature mark of World Patient Safety Day. The color orange symbolizes the central role patient safety plays in countries’ efforts to achieve universal health coverage.
- Room of Horrors – Show pictures of rooms with patient safety dangers, such as fall hazards, medication administration, infection control, and other hazards. Offer prizes for the person who identifies the most.
- Video Contest – Involve all departments in the organization by asking for video submissions on patient safety.
- Keynote Speaker – Set up a virtual or pre-recorded presentation by a local or national patient safety expert.
- Virtual Pharmacy Tours – Conduct tours of the department to showcase pharmacy patient safety initiatives and help other health care professionals to understand the medication use process and pharmacy’s important role in patient safety.
Create your own virtual background by adding your hospital or health system’s logo
- Open the Patient Safety Awareness Week virtual background. Then click on “Use template.” (You may need to create a free account before you can start editing)
- Click on UPLOAD --> Upload Media in the left toolbar to upload your organization’s logo. A PNG logo with a transparent background is recommended.
- Click on the logo image to add to the template (top right corner). Adjust the image to fit your logo in the recommended space and delete the “Add Your Logo Text Box”.
- Click Download to save the virtual background to your computer.