- Education and Training of Pharmacy Students. Trovato JA and Edwards JM. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm., 2004 Sep; 61: 1956 - 1957.
- How to Be an Effective Clerkship or Internship Preceptor. Erstad BI. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm., 1993 Mar; 50:434
- Preceptors' perspectives on benefits of precepting student pharmacists to students, preceptors, and the profession. Skrabal MZ et al. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2006 Sep-Oct;46(5):605-12.
- The Effective Pharmacy Preceptor: The Effective Pharmacy Preceptor is written for busy preceptors who train students and residents, sometimes in mixed groups, in a wide variety of practice settings. It focuses on the real-world situations that today’s pharmacists face.
- Preceptor's Handbook: This updated guide will show you how to integrate pharmacy students and residents into your practice, improve essential communication, teaching, and leadership skills, motivate and challenge students, set expectations, and acknowledge and understand generational issues and perspectives. The guide will also aid establishing a professional attitude and bearing in your students, develop your students' cultural competency, and grasp essential teaching skills fundamental to your students' success. Master the administrative detail of being a pharmacy preceptor, understand the skills needed to mentor pharmacy residents and those in fellowships In the changing world of pharmacy practice, the need for effective preceptors to help prepare both students and residents has never been greater. The Preceptor's Handbook for Pharmacists remains the go-to, authoritative resource for both new and experienced pharmacy preceptors. When you are a preceptor, you create a lifelong impact on young pharmacists.
- Preceptor responsibility for supervising pharmacy intern. Brushwood DB and Mullan K. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm., 2000 Jan;57:58 - 6
- Update on factors motivating pharmacy students to pursue residency and fellowship training. Bucci KK, Knapp KK, Ohri LK and Brooks PJ.Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm.,August 2013, 70 (16) 1397-1403
- Serving as a preceptor to pharmacy students: Tips on maintaining the desire to inspire. Kelley, K. et. al. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. May 2012, 69 (10) 826-831
- Assessing students’ motivation during advanced pharmacy practice experiences.Medina, Melissa.Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. December 2011, 68 (23) 2230-2235
- Improving Communication Skills of Pharmacy Students Through Effective Precepting. R.McDonough, Am J Pharm Educ.2006; 70 (3) Article 58.
- Student and preceptor perception of performance in advanced pharmacy practice experiences. LH, Kirkwood CK. Am J Pharm Educ., 2005; 69, pp. NIL
- Feedback in clinical medical education. Ende J. JAMA. 1983 Aug 12;250(6):777-81.
- Assessing student performance during experiential rotations. Medina, Melissa. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. August 2008, 65 (16) 1502-1506
- Teacher-Designed Student Feedback: A Strategy for Improving Classroom Instruction by Gerald D. Bailey, a resource to help teachers effectively respond to feedback
Encouraging the Development of Your Students’ Skills
- Improving Communication Skills of Pharmacy Students through Effective Precepting. McDonough RP, Bennett MS. Am J Pharm Educ., 2006; 70 (3), Article 58.
- Design and Use Learning Objective in Clinical Teaching. Z.Austin. The Pharmaceutical Journal, Vol 296, No 788
- Educational environment L. Hutchinson BMJ. 2003 Apr 12; 326(7393): 810–812.
- Serving as a student preceptor: Focus on emerging challenges (AJHP)
- Embracing Challenges When Co-Precepting Pharmacy Students. D. Hammond et. al. Hosp Pharm. 2014 Apr; 49(4): 348–354
- Rethinking Experiential Education (or Does Anyone Want a Pharmacy Student?) P. Chase. Am J Pharm Educ. 2007 Apr 15; 71(2): 27.
- Mentor or preceptor: What is the difference? Terri M. Wensel. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm September 2006, 63 (17) 1597
- How to be an Efficient and Effective Preceptor. F. Biagioli et. al. Fam Pract Manag. 2010 May–Jun; 17(3): 18.
- Faculty development as an instrument of change: a case study on teaching professionalism. Y.Steinert . Acad Med. 2007 Nov;82(11):1057-64.
- Student-Valued Measurable Teaching Behaviors of Award-Winning Pharmacy Preceptors. O’Sullivan. Am J Pharm Educ. 2015; 79 (10) Article 151
- Use of Social Media by Pharmacy Preceptors. P. Kukreja et.al. Am J Pharm Educ.2011; 75 (9) Article 176