ASHP offers Student Societies of Health-System Pharmacists (SSHPs) nationwide the opportunity for official ASHP-SSHP Recognition. Official recognition provides a direct relationship between ASHP and the SSHP, and completes the “triad” relationship between ASHP, the ASHP state affiliate organization, and the SSHP. All SSHPs who have received recognition are listed in our 2021-2022 ASHP Recognized Student Societies page.
ASHP-SSHP Recognition Program
ASHP-SSHP Recognition Program Step by Step
To be considered for ASHP-SSHP Recognition, the SSHP must fulfill all criteria for each category below and submit a completed application by June 30 each year. (Note: ASHP-SSHP Recognition will not be renewed without a completed, annual submission).
*Given the COVID-19 pandemic, ASHP is applying leniency in the interpretation of the below criteria. If you SSHP has been unable to meet one or more of the requirements listed due to COVID-19 restrictions, please indicate so in the comments section of your application under each affected category.
Hold at least one membership drive during the academic year to recruit members for ASHP, the ASHP state affiliate organization (if one exists), and the SSHP.
- Career Development
- Participate in the administration of the ASHP Clinical Skills Competition at your school. Your school must also be represented at the national competition during the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting in December.
Note: This requirement may be waived if your school does not yet have students in their third professional year. If applicable, please clearly indicate this exception on your application packet.
- Coordinate at least two events featuring speakers representing health-system practice (such as a faculty member or local practitioner). It is strongly recommended that SSHPs contact the ASHP state affiliate organization to assist in the identification of potential speakers from within their membership.
- Coordinate at least one informational session on residency training. It is strongly recommended that SSHPs seek involvement from the ASHP state affiliate organization in the planning and implementation of this session. Residency directors and preceptors are often members of the state affiliate organization.
- Professional Development Project
Coordinate at least one activity related to Workforce Well-Being and Resilience (ASHP’s Strategic Plan Goal 1.4: Improve Patient Care by Enhancing the Well-being and Resilience of Pharmacists, Student Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Technicians). Please familiarize yourselves with the definitions of Well-Being and Resilience.
- ASHP State Affiliate Involvement
Collaborate with the ASHP state affiliate on at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development activities or professional development project).
- Practice Advancement Initiative (PAI 2030) Incorporation
Incorporate PAI 2030 in at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development activities or professional development project). Ideas for incorporating PAI include can be found here.
To learn more about the PAI 2030 initiative and find student resources visit ASHP's PAI 2030 webpage.
Each year, ASHP provides the following benefits to officially recognized SSHPs:
- Certificate of recognition
- Awards for incoming and outgoing president/officer*
- One complimentary ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Summer Meeting student registration
- Use of ASHP-SSHP Recognition program logo
- Opportunity to be featured on the ASHP website by filling out the SSHP Spotlight Recognition Form.
* If your SSHP does not focus solely on health-system practice, we strongly encourage the awards to be presented to the highest ranking health-system officer.
The SSHP may submit an application at any no later than June 30 of each year. Please submit all electronic documents in one transmission, utilizing the submission electronic application form linked below and the template documents provided below.
For New SSHPs seeking recognition for the first time ONLY:
- Cover letter explaining the organization’s mission and how the organization promotes the development of health-system pharmacy practitioners
- One copy of any existing organizational documents (i.e., charter, bylaws, constitution, or other documents that describe the structure and mission of the organization)
For New and Previously Recognized SSHPs:
- Complete the electronic application form with description of projects addressing the ASHP-SSHP Recognition Criteria. You may access the paper application for reference – please note, submissions will only be accepted via the online submission link above, paper applications are for reference only.
- Member roster;
Download the Member Roster Template [XLS]
- Officer roster;
Download the Officer Roster Template [XLS]
- Completed electronic application form (opens in February) with description of projects addressing the ASHP-SSHP Recognition Criteria.
- Opt in to be considered for the Outstanding Professional Development Project Award