ASHP Leadership Agenda Item
Foster optimal models for team-based, patient-centered care that includes the pharmacist as the expert in medication therapy management.
Healthcare professionals that work together should train together. Create an opportunity for team base learning through a competition that brings healthcare professionals together. One way that pharmacists and pharmacy students significantly improve the quality of patient care is by working collaboratively with other health care professionals (e.g., physicians, public health professionals, nurses). Without this collaboration, health care delivery is fragmented and poorly coordinated. The training and expertise of pharmacists is critical to the multidisciplinary patient care team to optimize patient care; as students, it is imperative to appreciate this active role health-system pharmacists play in collaborating with other health care professionals to improve the quality of care.
- To demonstrate the vital role of health-system pharmacists and pharmacy students in quality improvement and patient safety;
- To expand quality improvement and patient safety knowledge to pharmacy students and other future healthcare professionals;
- To facilitate innovative discussions on healthcare topics concerning quality improvement, patient safety, and patient-centered care;
- To become skilled in quality improvement, patient safety, teamwork, leadership, and patient-centered care;
- To provide a network for pharmacy students to collaborate with other future healthcare professionals regarding important healthcare issues.
SSHP Project Ideas
Hold an Interprofessional Team Competition
- If your school is part of system with multiple health science programs, facilitate the development of an interprofessional competition;
- Have faculty from colleges of different healthcare professionals come up with cases that interprofessional teams must make treatment decisions and present to a panel of judges.