The award, which is conferred at the discretion of ASHP and the ABHP Board of Directors, may be presented annually at the ABHP Luncheon at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting or other appropriate function. One award may be conferred each year.
John E. Clark, Pharm.D., M.S., FASHP
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacotherapeutics and Clinical Research and
Director of Experiential Education and Pharmacy Residency Programs
University of South Florida College of Pharmacy
Criteria and Eligibility
ASHP and ABHP members are invited, annually, to suggest nominees in writing with substantiating evidence. Nominations should state how the nominee meets the criteria for the award. This includes a record of demonstrating leadership in the reduction of racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare in one or more of the following areas:
- Increasing awareness of these disparities among healthcare providers, administrators, legislators, regulators, third-party payers, and the public;
- Promoting a more diverse and culturally competent healthcare workforce and environment;
- Ensuring effective communication with patients and among providers;
- Fostering consistent use of multidisciplinary teams and evidence-based guidelines for patient care;
- Collecting and reporting data on healthcare access, utilization, and outcomes by racial and ethnic minorities, and measuring progress toward reducing healthcare disparities;
- Researching, identifying, and disseminating best practices for providing culturally competent care and reducing disparities in healthcare.
Current ASHP and ABHP Board members and staff are not eligible.
Nominations are accepted year-round and are to be transmitted electronically using the Award Nominations Form. Please see the Call for Award Nominations to reference the criteria for the award as well as the nomination instructions.
If you have any questions about the Awards Program, please contact the Office of Member Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current and Past Recipients
- 2018 - Johnnie L. Early, II
- 2017 - Neil J. MacKinnon
- 2016 - Mary Choy
- 2015 - Marie A. Chisholm-Burns
- 2014 - John J. Scrivens Jr
- 2012 - Lenore T. Coleman
- 2010 - Thomas E. Buckley
- 2009 - Folakemi T. Odedina