ASHP offers Student Societies of Health-System Pharmacists (SSHPs) nationwide the opportunity for official ASHP-SSHP Recognition. Official recognition provides a direct relationship between ASHP and the SSHP, and completes the “triad” relationship between ASHP, the ASHP state affiliate organization, and the SSHP. All SSHPs who have received recognition are listed in our 2019-2020 ASHP Recognized Student Societies page.
ASHP-SSHP Recognition Program
ASHP-SSHP Recognition Program Step by Step
To be considered for ASHP-SSHP Recognition, the SSHP must fulfill all criteria for each category below and submit a completed application by June 30 each year. (Note: ASHP-SSHP Recognition will not be renewed without a completed, annual submission).
Hold at least one membership drive during the academic year to recruit members for ASHP, the ASHP state affiliate organization (if one exists), and the SSHP.
- Career Development
- Participate in the administration of the ASHP Clinical Skills Competition at your school. Your school must also be represented at the national competition during the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting in December.
Note: This requirement may be waived if your school does not yet have students in their third professional year. If applicable, please clearly indicate this exception on your application packet.
- Coordinate at least two events featuring speakers representing health-system practice (such as a faculty member or local practitioner). It is strongly recommended that SSHPs contact the ASHP state affiliate organization to assist in the identification of potential speakers from within their membership.
- Coordinate at least one informational session on residency training. It is strongly recommended that SSHPs seek involvement from the ASHP state affiliate organization in the planning and implementation of this session. Residency directors and preceptors are often members of the state affiliate organization.
- Coordinate at least one activity related to Workforce Well-Being and Resilience (ASHP’s Strategic Plan Goal 1.4: Improve Patient Care by Enhancing the Well-being and Resilience of Pharmacists, Student Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Technicians).
This initiative supports the development of education and resources to help student pharmacists address burnout. SSHPs are encouraged to join the Well-being and Resilience Connect Community and visit the Well-Being & You Page as they create a student program focused on well-being and resilience.
Learn more about this initiative by viewing the webinar titled “Journey to a Resilient and Thriving Pharmacy Workforce.” This webinar is specifically targeted towards student pharmacists and SSHPs and is accessible after enrolling in the ASHP Well-Being and Resilience Webinar Series.
- Professional Development Project
Coordinate at least one activity related to ASHP’s Strategic Plan. This activity could incorporate one or multiple elements that align with ASHP’s Strategic Priorities and Goals, and should be different than activities submitted to satisfy the Career Development recognition criteria outlined above.
- ASHP State Affiliate Involvement
Collaborate with the ASHP state affiliate on at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development activities or professional development project).
- Practice Advancement Initiative (PAI) Incorporation
Incorporate PAI in at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development activities or professional development project). Ideas for incorporating PAI include: a guest speaker presenting on a PAI topic or PAI2030, a project or presentation focusing on one of the PAI recommendations, etc.
To learn more about the PAI initiative visit: http://www.ashpmedia.org/pai/
To find ideas and innovative projects implemented by other Student Societies, visit the Share and Reapply page. For more information relating to program requirements please visit the SSHP Recognition Program FAQ page or contact email@example.com.
Each year, ASHP provides the following benefits to officially recognized SSHPs:
- Certificate of recognition
- Awards for incoming and outgoing president/officer*
- One complimentary ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Summer Meeting student registration
- One complimentary ASHP publication
- Use of ASHP-SSHP Recognition program logo
- Opportunity to be featured on the ASHP website by filling out the SSHP Spotlight Recognition Form.
* If your SSHP does not focus solely on health-system practice, we strongly encourage the awards to be presented to the highest ranking health-system officer.
The SSHP may submit an application at any no later than June 30 of each year. Please submit all electronic documents in one transmission, utilizing the submission electronic application form linked below and the template documents provided below.
For New SSHPs seeking recognition for the first time ONLY:
- Cover letter explaining the organization’s mission and how the organization promotes the development of health-system pharmacy practitioners
- One copy of any existing organizational documents (i.e., charter, bylaws, constitution, or other documents that describe the structure and mission of the organization)
For New and Previously Recognized SSHPs:
- Complete the electronic application form with description of projects addressing the ASHP-SSHP Recognition Criteria. You may access the paper application for reference – please note, submissions will only be accepted via the online submission link above, paper applications are for reference only.
- Member roster;
Download the Member Roster Template [XLS]
- Officer roster;
Download the Officer Roster Template [XLS]
- Completed electronic application form with description of projects addressing the ASHP-SSHP Recognition Criteria.
- Opt in to be considered for the Outstanding Professional Development Project Award