The award, which is conferred at the discretion of ASHP and the ABHP Board of Directors, may be presented annually at the ABHP Luncheon at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting or other appropriate function. One award may be conferred each year.
Neil J. MacKinnon, Ph.D., M.S.Pharm., FCSHP
Dean of the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy at the University of Cincinnati
Criteria and Eligibility
ASHP and ABHP members are invited, annually, to suggest nominees in writing with substantiating evidence. Nominations should state how the nominee meets the criteria for the award. This includes a record of demonstrating leadership in the reduction of racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare in one or more of the following areas:
- Increasing awareness of these disparities among healthcare providers, administrators, legislators, regulators, third-party payers, and the public;
- Promoting a more diverse and culturally competent healthcare workforce and environment;
- Ensuring effective communication with patients and among providers;
- Fostering consistent use of multidisciplinary teams and evidence-based guidelines for patient care;
- Collecting and reporting data on healthcare access, utilization, and outcomes by racial and ethnic minorities, and measuring progress toward reducing healthcare disparities;
- Researching, identifying, and disseminating best practices for providing culturally competent care and reducing disparities in healthcare.
Current ASHP and ABHP Board members and staff are not eligible.
The deadline for nominations is October 1. Nominations are to be transmitted electronically from August 1 - October 1 using the Award Nominations Form. To reference the criteria for the award or the nomination instructions, please see the Call for Award Nominations.
Selections will be made in January. In some years, selections are not made for all awards. If you have any questions about the Awards Program, please contact the Office of Member Relations at email@example.com.
Current and Past Recipients
- 2017 - Neil J. MacKinnon
- 2016 - Mary Choy
- 2015 - Marie A. Chisholm-Burns
- 2014 - John J. Scrivens Jr
- 2012 - Lenore T. Coleman
- 2010 - Thomas E. Buckley
- 2009 - Folakemi T. Odedina