Disparities within the healthcare system continues to affect our patients. Health and healthcare disparities are the differences in access and care between groups that are closely linked with social, economic, and/or environmental disadvantage. These disparities occur on every level of the healthcare system, and in order to achieve change, a concerted effort is needed by all parties involved.
How to Protect Patients – ASHP is Working to:
- Highlight health disparities to federal and state policymakers, particularly when disparities relate to medication use and access.
- Collaborate with policymakers on the federal level to identify meaningful solutions to health disparities.
- Encourage federal task forces and committees to nominate a diverse array of members in order to address all patient populations affected.
- Letter to Dr. Jha Regarding Pharmacist Prescribing Antivirals (05-26-2022) pdf
- Statement of Dr. Paul W. Abramowitz to the COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force (02/26/2021)
- Statement of Dr. Vivian Bradley Johnson to the COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force (02/26/2021
- ASHP and Other Pharmacy Organizations Submit Nomination Request to President Biden for the COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force (02/12/2021)
- ASHP Asks President Biden to Consider Dr. Vivian Bradley Johnson Appointment to the COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force (01/28/2021)
- ASHP Signs Joint Statement Calling for Continued Support of the World Health Organization (07/09/2020)
Health Disparities News
- HHS Enforces Healthcare Anti-Discrimination Protections, Improves Access to Medication Therapy (5/13/2021)
- ASHP Statement on Violence Against the Asian Community (3/17/2021)
- Sign ASHP's Change.org Petition Calling for Inclusion of Pharmacists on COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force (2/25/2021)
- Update: National Pharmacy Organizations Take Action Against Racial Injustice (10/15/2020)
- ASHP Response to Petition to End Gender Inequality in Clinical Pharmacy (9/9/2020)