Become a Certified Pharmacy Executive Leader (CPELSM)
ASHP’s new Certified Pharmacy Executive Leader (CPELSM) credential acknowledges your unique expertise as a pharmacy executive leader and communicates your value to colleagues, healthcare administrators, other health care professionals, and the public.
The CPELSM credential provides national recognition of core competencies in professionalism, leading people, leading the pharmacy enterprise, and leading within and across complex health care systems. The CPELSM also demonstrates your commitment to achieving and maintaining excellence in pharmacy leadership.
To apply for the CPELSM credential, candidates must meet all of the eligibility criteria and complete an online application. There is no fee to apply for the CPEL; the table below provides the other applicable fees. Applications will be approved by the ASHP Pharmacy Practice Accreditation Commission (PPAC). Approved candidates will participate in a multi-day in-person capstone at ASHP. Upon successful completion of the capstone, candidates will be awarded the CPEL credential for 7 years.
To be considered for the CPELSM, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current ASHP member at the time of application (with sustained membership throughout the certification period);
- A valid and unrestricted license as a pharmacist in the U.S. or another jurisdiction.
- Graduation from a pharmacy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or a program outside the U.S. that qualifies the individual to practice in the jurisdiction.
- Completion of an ASHP-accredited pharmacy residency OR a current BPS certification OR documentation of equal experience and qualifications;
- Documentation of core competencies outlined in the CPELSM domains OR a Masters or other qualifying degree (e.g., MS in pharmacy, MBA, MHA, MPH, etc.) OR completion of the Pharmacy Leadership Academy.
- Currently in an executive leadership position with a minimum of 5 years (post-residency) progressive and sustained leadership experience including significant managerial oversight in a healthcare organization resulting in advancing pharmacy practice and positive patient outcomes.
- Reference from a senior health system executive affirming CPELSM experience/oversight requirements.
- Documentation of current (within past year) volunteerism in healthcare-related organizations.
All applications must be submitted online. Be prepared to upload electronic versions of your diplomas, transcripts, reference letter, and other documentation during the online application.
View the application instructions, including narrative sections you may be required to complete, prior to applying online.
Leading hospitals and health systems must have strategic and innovative pharmacy executives who plan and oversee the design and operation of complex medication-use services or processes. Leadership experience in the context of the CPEL credential is defined as an individual who is responsible for actively leading and participating in the pharmacy enterprise's and health system’s strategic planning and decision-making processes at senior levels.
To be recognized as a Certified Pharmacist Executive Leader, applicants must have a minimum of 5 years of progressive and sustained leadership experience including significant managerial oversight in a healthcare organization resulting in advancing pharmacy practice and positive patient outcomes. Examples of leadership experience include:
- Ensures the enterprise’s strategic planning leverages pharmacy services across the continuum of care to improve health outcomes
- Optimizes formulary management with an emphasis on procurement that is driven by clinical efficacy, patient outcomes and total cost of care.
- Collaborates with executives within and external to the health system to build cross-functional relationships and align services with initiatives such as quality metrics and financial performance.
- Advances patient care services through the promotion of pharmacy best practices by the creation and adoption of emerging technologies and innovative services.
- Leads a culture that is conducive to the highest levels of patient care, employee retention, training and recruitment.
- Ensures a workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment and supportive of diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as employee growth, wellness, and resilience.
About the Capstone
The capstone is the final required step for candidates to earn their CPEL credential. During this multi-day in-person program at ASHP, candidates will engage in facilitated case discussions based on the CPEL professional and leadership competencies. Candidates must participate in the capstone in its entirety. Upon successful completion of the capstone, candidates will receive their CPEL certification for 7 years.
Candidates who are approved by the ASHP Pharmacy Practice Accreditation Commission (PPAC) for the capstone must reserve their place in their selected capstone and pay the tuition fee of $500.00 to continue in the process to receive CPEL certification. Capstone fees are subject to cancellation policies. If you must cancel participation in a confirmed capstone, your tuition payment can be applied to a future session provided cancellation is received at least 10 days prior to the capstone. Cancellations received within 10 days of the capstone will be charged a $100 processing fee.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and capstones will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Tentative capstone dates are below; additional sessions will be scheduled based on the total number of approved applicants.
Tentative Capstones at ASHP
- March 13-17, 2023
- May 8-12, 2023
Capstone Travel Expenses
Candidates are responsible for coordinating and paying for their own travel, accommodation, and incidentals to participate in the capstone. ASHP will provide a list of local hotels offering a special room rate for capstone participants. Lunches and beverages will be provided during the capstone as part of the tuition fee. Participants are responsible for breakfast and dinner.
Request for Special Accommodations
ASHP complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. No individual with a disability shall be deprived of the opportunity to participate solely by reason of a disability. ASHP will provide reasonable accommodation for a candidate with a disability who requests accommodation.
CPEL Certification Fees
|Application Fee||$0||There is no fee to apply.|
|Capstone Fee||$500.00||For initial certification only.|
|Annual Certification Fee||$150.00/year||During the 7-year certification term|
|Recertification Fee||$600.00||Every 7 years to renew certification|
Recertification is based upon submission of a portfolio documenting 60 hours of CPEL-designated continuous professional development, including 30 hours from ASHP live activities. ASHP will plan for CPEL recertification activities beginning in the fall of 2023. The cost for recertification is $600.00 every 7 years.
Contact Us: [email protected]