The award, which is conferred at the discretion of ASHP and the ABHP Board of Directors, may be presented annually at the ABHP Luncheon at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting or other appropriate function. One award may be conferred each year.
Sharon L. Youmans, PharmD, MPH
Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Executive Vice Dean
University of California San Francisco (UCSF) School of Pharmacy
Dr. Youmans is a respected educator, scholar, and leader with a passion for reducing racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare by fostering a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive healthcare workforce. With a strong focus on public health communication and cultural humility, she has worked tirelessly to transform and advance the pharmacy education landscape to create learning environments that are encouraging, nurturing, and supportive of all students, ensure equal access to opportunities and resources, and cultivate success both in the classroom and beyond.
Criteria and Eligibility
ASHP and ABHP members are invited, annually, to suggest nominees in writing with substantiating evidence. Nominations should state how the nominee meets the criteria for the award. This includes a record of demonstrating leadership in the reduction of racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare in one or more of the following areas:
- Increasing awareness of these disparities among healthcare providers, administrators, legislators, regulators, third-party payers, and the public;
- Promoting a more diverse and culturally competent healthcare workforce and environment;
- Ensuring effective communication with patients and among providers;
- Fostering consistent use of multidisciplinary teams and evidence-based guidelines for patient care;
- Collecting and reporting data on healthcare access, utilization, and outcomes by racial and ethnic minorities, and measuring progress toward reducing healthcare disparities;
- Researching, identifying, and disseminating best practices for providing culturally competent care and reducing disparities in healthcare.
Current ASHP and ABHP Board members and staff are not eligible.
Nominations are accepted year-round and are to be transmitted electronically using the Award Nominations Form. Please see the Call for Award Nominations to reference the criteria for the award as well as the nomination instructions.
If you have any questions about the Awards Program, please contact the Office of Member Relations at [email protected].
- 2022 - Angela M. Hill
- 2021 - Manouchkathe Cassagnol
- 2020 - Kathleen B. Kennedy
- 2019 - John E. Clark
- 2018 - Johnnie L. Early, II
- 2017 - Neil J. MacKinnon
- 2016 - Mary Choy
- 2015 - Marie A. Chisholm-Burns
- 2014 - John J. Scrivens Jr
- 2012 - Lenore T. Coleman
- 2010 - Thomas E. Buckley
- 2009 - Folakemi T. Odedina