The award, which is conferred at the discretion of the ASHP Board of Directors, may be presented annually at the ASHP Summer Meetings or other appropriate function. There is no limit to the number of awards that may be conferred each year.
Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Clinical Pharmacy Practice Office (CPPO) and Pharmacy Residency Program Office (PRPO)
The VA CPPO and PRPO developed and implemented comprehensive strategies to expand advanced clinical pharmacy practice excellence and post-graduate pharmacy residency training. These innovative efforts resulted in greater patient access to care, improved patient safety, identification and treatment of substance use disorders, and enhanced care coordination.
Virginia Mason Kirkland Regional Medical Center (Seattle, WA)
The Virginia Mason Kirkland Regional Medical Center implemented initiatives to support well-being and resilience and reduce burnout for its patient care providers. These initiatives have been selected by the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) to promote pharmacists as part of an interprofessional team to address clinician burnout and promote resilience.
Criteria and Eligibility
ASHP members are invited, annually, to suggest nominees in writing with substantiating evidence. The award is intended to recognize an individual or group of individuals for a recent, singular, nationally significant achievement or contribution. Nominations should state:
- How the contribution or achievement advanced the ability of pharmacists in acute or ambulatory care settings to serve the needs of patients, and
- Why the contribution or achievement is of national significance.
Nominees may be pharmacists or non-pharmacists, regardless of practice area or ASHP membership status. Current ASHP Board members and ASHP staff are not eligible.
Nominations are accepted year-round and are to be transmitted electronically during this period using the Award Nominations Form. Please see the Call for Award Nominations to reference the criteria for the award as well as the nomination instructions.
Nominations received by October 1 will be reviewed by the Awards Committee, and selections will be made the following February. In some years, selections are not made for all awards.
If you have any questions about the Awards Program, please contact the Office of Member Relations at [email protected].
- 2017 – Erin R. Fox
- 2017 – Scott J. Knoer
- 2016 – Geisinger Health System, Medication Therapy Disease Management Program
- 2015 – The California Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Members and Staff
- 2013 – RADM Scott Giberson, U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin, and the Primary Editors of “Improving Patient and Health-System Outcomes Through Advanced Pharmacy Practice – A Report to the Surgeon General 2011.”
- 2012 – Erin R. Fox
- 2011 – Marie A. Chisolm-Burns
- 2009 – Christopher A. Hatwig
- 2008 – Daniel E. Buffington
- 2007 – J. Lyle Bootman
- 2007 – Indian Health Service Pharmacists: Michael P. Lee, Timothy M. Murray, Ryan R. Schupbach, Jodi N. Sparkman, Travis E. Watts
- 2006 – Marvin Shepherd
- 2005 – Jimmy Mitchell