“Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it's all right
Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right”
- "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles
Happy May –we are just shy of half-way through 2018! June is a busy time of transition for your Section, as the Section Advisory Groups (SAG) and Committees finish their annual activity, and your Executive Committee leadership changes. Also, the Executive Committee will finalize our Section Strategic Plan – in alignment with the updated ASHP Strategic Plan – in June during our biannual time together at Summer Meeting.
Lastly, this will be my final Chair’s Message to share with all of you as I transition to the role of Immediate Past-Chair of SOPIT. Thank you for taking the time of your busy day to read the information I have been sharing, and the opportunity to interact with you all.
Summer Meeting 2018
- I am looking forward to connecting with you at Summer Meetings & Exhibition from June 2-6, 2018 in Denver CO. Register for the Informatics Institute now!
- Don’t miss the SOPIT and Friends Informal Meet & Greet on Monday, June 4th at 7:30 pm MDT at Euclid Hall, 1317 14th Street, Denver, CO 80202.
- The nomination process for your 2018-2019 Executive Committee is completed. Please look for a ballot with the slated candidates in June.
- ASHP SOPIT member spotlight : would you like to share your background, experience and path to informatics? Contact Section Director Amey Hugg to learn more.
- The application for Section Advisory Group (SAG) re/appointments 2018-2019 is completed and the appointment announcements will occur soon. Thanks to all for your sustained efforts to support the Section and volunteer your time.
Executive Committee update (June 2018)
- Tim Brown, Pharm.D., BCACP, FASHP completed his time as the ASHP Board of Directors liaison for SOPIT. We are grateful for his enthusiasm, guidance, and assistance over the last year.
- We welcome Stephen Eckel, Pharm.D., M.H.A., BCPS, FASHP who will join SOPIT as our new ASHP Board of Directors liaison.
- Sylvia Belford, Pharm.D., M.S., CPHIMS is transitioning from Immediate Past-Chair of SOPIT, and completing her term on the Executive Committee. We are grateful to the sustained service to the SOPIT from Sylvia and will miss her Executive Committee leadership.
- Maritza Lew, Pharm.D., PMP, CPHIMS assumes the role of Chair of the Executive Committee ! Maritza is transitioning from her Chair-Elect role and, prior to that, completed a term as Director-at-Large. We welcome her emerging leadership and dedication to the Section.
- Beth Prier, Pharm.D., M.S., CPHIMS is completing her term as Director-at-Large. We are grateful for the past three years of service from Beth and will miss her both her leadership and her presence on the Executive Committee.
- Seth Hartman, Pharm.D., M.B.A. is continuing in his role on the Executive Committee as our Director-at-Large.
- Barry M. McClain, Pharm.D., M.S., who is currently serving as Director-At-Large-Elect will be installed at the Summer Meeting in Denver in a few weeks.
We are truly appreciative of their continued time, efforts, and leadership.
Section Advisory Groups (SAG) updates (May 2018)
Thank you to the SAG leaders and members for their accomplishments this year. If you want to hear more about these accomplishments, plan to attend and network at the Summer Meetings in Denver. Here are some highlights of the work accomplished:
SAG on Clinical Applications: recommendations to assist pharmacists in the design, implementation, interoperability, and meaningful use of clinical applications.
- Chair : Samm Anderegg, Pharm.D., M.S., BCPS & Vice-Chair: Raymond Chan, Pharm.D.
- Executive Committee Liaison : Beth Prier, Pharm.D., M.S., CPHIMS
- Accomplishments :
- ASHP.org website updates for pharmacogenomics resources
- Published weblogs on medication shortages from a clinical informatics perspective, and the use of informatics in the opioid crisis
- Webinars on Pharmacogenomics and IV robotic repackaging /sterile compounding technology scheduled for June
SAG on Clinical Decision Support and Analytics : optimization of clinical decision support and incorporation of new and innovative clinical functionality into appropriate clinical workflows in electronic health records and clinical information systems.
- Chair : Kerry Goldrosen, Pharm.D. & Vice-Chair: Van Do, Pharm.D.
- Executive Committee Liaison : Seth Hartman, Pharm.D., MBA
- Accomplishments :
- Development of an analytics resource page for ASHP.org – expected to launch Summer 2018
- Development of a population health web toolkit for AHSP – expected to be available in Summer 2018
- Creating a resource guide for standards in Quality Measures for pharmacists
SAG on Operations and Automation: safe, interoperable, efficient use and ongoing maintenance of Medication-Use Technology.
- Chair : John Barickman, B.S.Pharm, MBA, FACHE & Vice-Chair: David Aguero, Pharm.D., DPLA
- Executive Committee Liaison : Joe Lassiter, M.S., Pharm.D.
- Accomplishments :
- Summary paper created to help members understand pharmaceutical chain of custody/Track and Trace requirements.
- Updated the 2009 ASHP Guidelines on the Safe Use of Automated Dispensing Devices.
- Recommendations for ASHP policy regarding involvement of pharmacists in in evaluation, selection, build and maintenance of medication-use systems and technology.
SAG on Professional Development : providing education and training materials for practicing and future Pharmacy Informaticists.
- Chair : Anna Dreger, RPh & Vice-Chair: Ashley Mains Espinosa Pharm.D., M.S., CPHIMS
- Executive Committee Liaison : Barry M. McClain, Pharm.D., M.S.
- Accomplishments :
- Completed a webinar highlighting the updates to the PGY2 changes to the guidelines.
- Developed and submitted a proposal for presentation at Preceptor conference. Will contribute a pearls presentation at the October 2018 Preceptors conference.
- Began a blog article to support the value of an additional membership in secondary organizations, such as HIMSS or AMIA, for Informatics Pharmacists.
Educational Steering Committee : responsible for vetting educational meeting sessions that identify practice gaps for the Midyear Clinical Meeting.
- Chair : Mark Baumgart, Pharm.D. & Vice-Chair: Carol White, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCGP, CPHIMS
- Executive Committee Liaison : Maritza Lew, Pharm.D., PMP, CPHIMS
- Conducted needs assessment survey of education topics; Twenty-one practice gaps identified.
- Submitted five educational session proposals for MCM 18; two proposals officially accepted.
- Established new timeline and procedure for submission of Informatics Bytes topics for MCM 18.
Share your knowledge
- Consider submitting your informatics project or program for an ASHP Best Practice Award . This program recognizes innovative systems that demonstrate best practices in pharmacy practice.
- Interesting news items to share with your colleagues? Consider submitting an article for the Section NewsLink which is published on the 7th of every other month.
- There is an official call for proposals for Informatics Pearls for the 2018 Midyear Clinical Meeting & Exhibition , December 2-6, 2018 in Anaheim, CA.
What do informaticists do?
Finally, I want to extend my heartfelt congratulations to the amazing informaticists that were awarded Fellow of ASHP (FASHP) status in recognition of their sustained pharmacy practice excellence.
- Sylvia M. Belford, Pharm.D., M.S., CPHIMS , Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. Sylvia is the Immediate Past-Chair of SOPIT.
- Ranee M. Runnebaum, Pharm.D., MHI , Children’s Hospital of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. Ranee was a former ASHP Board of Directors Liaison for SOPIT.
Thank you for the honor to serve as your Chair this past year – I look forward to your continued professional success in the second half of 2018. I deeply appreciate all that you do to ensure safe, effective, efficient, and economical medication-use systems for our patients.
Joseph Lassiter, M.S., Pharm.D., BCPS
Chair, Section of Pharmacy Informatics and Technology