Spring is like a perhaps hand
(which comes carefully
out of Nowhere) arranging
a window, into which people look(while
arranging and changing placing
carefully there a strange
thing and a known thing here)and
changing everything carefully
From "Spring is like a perhaps hand" by E. E. Cummings
Happy Spring! We are almost one quarter through 2018 and already there has been a flurry of exciting activity this year. Your Section Executive Committee has been collaborating to finalize our Section Strategic Plan in alignment with the updated ASHP Strategic Plan. This is will be completed in June during our time together at Summer Meeting.
To help the Executive Committee continue our strategic planning, and keep us mindful of the trends in medication-use informatics, I am excited to announce that we have also formed a new Section advisory group: the Leadership Executive Advisory Panel (LEAP). The august members of the LEAP are past elected Executive Committee members who are active in the Section and ASHP. I am looking forward to their advice, collaboration and support as we leap through the next decade of SOPIT!
- Nominations are being accepted for Distinguished Service Awards though April 1, 2018. Nominate a colleague today to recognize sustained service to pharmacy informatics!
- The nomination process for your 2018-2019 Executive Committee is completed. Please look for a ballot with the slated candidates in the near future.
- Consider submitting your informatics project or program for an ASHP Best Practice Award. This program recognizes innovative systems that demonstrate best practices in pharmacy practice.
ASHP SOPIT member spotlight: would you like to share your background, experience and path to informatics? Contact Section Director Amey Hugg to learn more.
- In case you missed it, the SAG on Professional Development has facilitated a comprehensive 2017 update to the 2006 PGY2 Pharmacy Informatics Residency Program Competency Areas, Goals and Objectives (CAGO). Please review this important updated information and share with your colleagues.
Section Advisory Group (SAG) re/appointments 2018-2019
The application for Section Advisory Group (SAG) re/appointments 2018-2019 is open now through April 1, 2018. After 10 years of SOPIT activity we are reaching an exciting level of member participation and involvement. Due to the increasing number of requests to be involved in a SAG or the Educational Steering Committee (ESC), we will be modifying our process this year to determine new appointments, changed or re-appointments.
I shared some additional details in a recent blog post on ASHP Connect. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued advocacy, participation and involvement!
As a reminder, there will be a special Networking Session –which I will facilitate along with Chair-Elect Dr. Maritza Lew and Immediate Past Chair Dr. Sylvia Belford –focused on the ASHP collaboration with the National Academy of Medicine Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this important issue, and how the Section should approach it from an informatics perspective.
Share your knowledge
- Highlight your informatics practice topics and share with your colleagues by submitting a poster for the 2018 Summer Meetings & Exhibition. Poster submission deadline is March 15, 2018
- Please stay tuned for a request this April for Informatics Pearl proposals for the 2018 Midyear Clinical Meeting & Exhibition, December 2-6, 2018 in Anaheim, CA.
What do informaticists do?
I am grateful to the numerous women leaders whom have positively influenced and mentored me, both personally and professionally, throughout my career. Therefore, I wanted to share two links in honor of International Women’s Day this month:
- ASHP Women in Pharmacy Leadership Resource Center: women comprise the majority of the workforce in healthcare organizations, but are underrepresented in healthcare leadership. In this timely and informative repository, ASHP has collected information for us based upon the recommendations of the ASHP Women in Pharmacy Leadership Steering Committee.
- The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) has released their annual HIMSS Most Influential Women in Health IT – recognizing influential women at all stages of their career progressions. Also see the 2017 awardees here.
Wishing you all continued success in 2018. Thank you for your collegiality, and all you do to ensure safe, effective, efficient, and economical medication-use systems for our patients.
Joseph Lassiter, M.S., Pharm.D., BCPS
Chair, Section of Pharmacy Informatics and Technology